Mbarara town is situated in the Western region of Uganda, about 295 Kilometres southwest of Kampala. Mbarara Town is one of Uganda’s biggest and fastest growing cities iin Uganda, this is attributed to trade boom and vast tourist attractions in the region over the last years.
Tourism attractions in the region.
- Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- Lake Mburo National Park.
- The Rwenzori Mountains.
- Kabale in the Southwest.
- The Nkonkonjeru tombs at Kakika, burial site of the last Abagabe (kings) of Ankole.
- King's Lake (Enyanja yo Mugabe wa Ankole)
- Ruharo the oldest Anglican Church of Ankole
THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU ARE IN MBARARA.
1. Visit the Abagabe Tombs ( 2 kms from Agip motel)
So far no uniform charges are set for that.
2. Visit Nile Breweries Plant (4 kms away from mbarara town)
- They require a person to have covered shoes
- They require a person to have an identity.
- The place is visited during working hours from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- The person should have a cover on his head normally got from the plant
- An appointment has to be made strictly in advance before the visitation.
- No charges for visiting the place.
3. Visit Coca-Cola Plant
They require an identity from the visitor.
An appointment has to be made first and they will give a tour guide.
They must know the number of people visiting the place.
Free testing of variety of sodas.
No charges for visiting the plant.
4. Visit Ankole Cattle and see their beauty.
5. Mbarara city tour & visit the following;
- Local markets (with fresh foods from the gardens)
- Shopping malls with different businesses.
- Night clubs and many others.
6. Visit Katete beach
7. Visit river Rwizi and see how it meanders and when it turn to red during the rainy season.
8. Bodaboda tour as mbarara town is leading in bodabadas in the country.
9. Visit Local places and see banana plantations, coffee plantations,
7. See how to milk the cows ( in the morning & evening)
8. See the production of eshabwe ( it’s made locally)
Banks & Forex Exchange
Banking Services and forex bureaus are available within the town centre. A number of branches of major Banks in Kampala can also be accessible in Mbarara town. These include but not limited to: Crane bank, Centenary Bank, Standard Chartered, Bank of Baroda, Barclays Bank, Bank Of Uganda, and Stanbic Bank.
You will also find a number of forex bureaus offering foreign exchange services in the city.
Mbarara town has a number of Supermarkets along the Main Street.
For the more adventurous tourists, Rukungiri Inn can arrange ''home away from home'' where you will enjoy a cultural experience and heritage like watching a cow being milked in the morning, sitting on a balcony and enjoying the most amazing scenery.
Easy access to Bwindi, the home of the famous gorilla and Ishaasha to see the climbing lion is inevitable while in Rukungiri and will always leave our pictures engraved on your mind.